Prefect provides several APIs.
- The Prefect Python SDK API is used to build, test, and execute workflows against the Prefect orchestration engine. This is the primary user-facing API.
- The Prefect REST API is used for communicating data from clients to the Prefect server so that orchestration can be performed. This API is consumed by clients such as the Prefect Python SDK or the server dashboard.
- Prefect Cloud REST API documentation is available at https://app.prefect.cloud/api/docs.
- The REST API documentation for a locally hosted open-source Prefect server is available at http://localhost:4200/docs or the
/docsendpoint of the
PREFECT_API_URLyou have configured to access the server.
- The REST API documentation for a locally hosted open-source Prefect server is also available in the Prefect REST API Reference.
- The Prefect server API is used by the server to work with workflow metadata and enforce orchestration logic. This API is primarily used by Prefect developers.